Friday, December 4, 2009

Mrs. Coffee

a song to be sung while brewing coffee...

drip drip drip in the coffee pot
thoughts of you drop in a lot
you opened doors and rang the church bells loud
inside my heart and

i sang you a song
but you did not sing a long
i heard our harmonies
but you did not sing with me

no sugar no cream
i grind the darkest bean
the little bird she lost her wings
on the perfect wind machine

and i sang you a song
but you did not sing along
and i heard our harmonies
but you did not sing with me

you wanted to drink
of my black sea
and you wanted to taste
the strong woman in me

with the tip of your tongue
with the lick of your word
i was hot you were bothered
the higher you rose
the more i fell
you flew to heaven
i swam in hell
but i like the heat
you prefer the cold
if you ever want to drop down below
you know that

i'd sing you a song
and you could sing along
and you'd hear our harmonies
when you sing with me

drip drip drip in the coffee pot

3 comments:

  1. Your bird makes a cameo appearance in my last song (Blues). As Churchill would say, your lyrics can be "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" unless you look at your whole body of work - then these byzantine references that link to other songs start to form a whole picture. Just what a OCD songwriter needs - like trying to figure out what mid-60's Bob Dylan meant about his Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, I can obsess over it for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bob, also love our new forum for you to feed my ego ;) yes, the bird appears a lot... dream images are a big part of the inspiration of my songs..... and here i am at Holy Spirit, hanging out with a pretty big bird of the sky......

    J-sun, thanks for reading! any chance you were born in March and used to live in Gosnell AR?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what would make you think that? ;)

    ReplyDelete